How to Play Blackjack – The Basics
Blackjack is one of the fastest growing casino games to make its way onto the internet. Online blackjack is no different to playing blackjack at an actual casino venue. Thanks to advancements in technology, online blackjack has become a reality of our time.
Online blackjack allows players to enjoy the classic game from the comfort of their own home. Today, players even have the chance to play on the go with mobile blackjack.
Online Blackjack Advantages
- The convenience of learning how to play blackjack at your own pace.
- No more crowded blackjack tables to shy away from.
- More time to practice and use your own blackjack strategy.
- Lower wagering requirements than land-based blackjack tables.
How to Play Blackjack
Before we get into the rules and gameplay of blackjack, first you need to understand how a round of blackjack is played. The aim of the game is simple. However, it may be complicated when it comes to choosing how to play out your round to obtain your final blackjack hand. Players and dealers compete to get a hand as close to 21 as possible without going bust. Going bust refers to adding cards to your hand that give you a total exceeding 21.
To help beginner blackjack players. Here is a step by step guide of how blackjack works:
Players must use the different coloured chips to place their bets on the blackjack table. Each of the coloured chips, hold a different value.
Every player, including the dealer, then gets dealt two cards. Players receive both their cards face up, while dealers receive one card face up and one face down. However, the way cards are dealt may vary with the different blackjack variants.
After everyone has received their cards, the dealer will check for blackjack. While the dealer, checks for blackjack you can look at your cards to figure out how to play out the round. Players can either select to hit (receive another card) or stand. If the player opts for another card, they stand when they are satisfied with their hand total.
The dealer now reveals their face down card and also has the option to hit or stand. Dealers are obliged to hit in any instance when their blackjack hand is less than the players.
The round ends with the dealer calculating everyone’s final hand. The person closest to 21 or equal to 21 wins. Hand totals that bust automatically results in a loss.
Online Blackjack Card Values
Online blackjack has the same card values as in the original blackjack game. They are as follows;
- Picture cards: Also known as face cards, these cards all have a value of 10.
- Cards 1-10: Number cards all carry their face value.
- Aces: These cards are special as they can either equal 11 or 1, whichever favours the hand.
Tips for Online Blackjack
Playing blackjack on the web offers more convenience than playing at land-based casinos. Here are blackjack tips to help you find your way around virtual blackjack tables.
- Bet within your budget: Don’t ever bet money you can’t afford or don’t have to play with. With every online gambling session, players should always set limits. This includes everything from gaming session limits to how much you can bet with. Never exceed your gambling limits.
- Never bet more than half your bankroll: Players should always be tactful about how they bet and play the game of blackjack. Players should always bet responsibly.
- Play for free: Most top online casinos feature a free play mode. This allows players to practice as much as they want and not lose any real money.
- Use a basic strategy: Never select the insurance bet. This side bet often made by beginner players, thinking they’re protecting themselves. Most often than not, this side bet will not cover you as it only comes into play if the dealer has a natural blackjack.
Glossary for Online Blackjack
- Bankroll: The amount of money you’ve dedicated to your casino account to bet with.
- Bust: This refers to a hand where the total exceeds 21.
- Hit: When a player requests another card from the dealer.
- House edge: The house edge refers to the mathematical calculation of the advantage the casino has over a player.
- Late Surrender: A side bet available to players in certain blackjack variants. When players do not think they have a sufficient hand to win, they will place this bet after the dealer has checked for blackjack. Players surrender half their bet rather than risk losing their entire original bet.
- Natural: When a player or dealer has an initial hand made up of any 10 and an Ace.
- Push: This is another term for a tie. Your original bet will be returned to you in this instance.